Friday March 13th, 2009

The exercise:

My, isn't 2009 off to an interesting start? Two Friday the 13th's in a row.

I used up my creepy Def Poetry Jam performance last month, so I'm going back to the usual assortment of pure excellence with Mayda Del Valle's To All The Boys I've Loved Before.

Mine:

I don't know how I've managed to go this long without featuring Mayda - she's so great. Such wonderful lines and passionate delivery and a bottomless pit of energy.

I love how she split this poem into two parts - the contrast makes part two so much more powerful just by having that little bit of separation.

The emotions laid bare for all to see just make this performance feel so very, very real. Like we're getting an almost uncomfortably close look at who she really is.

Here's one more Mayda Del Valle's performance for you - I'm not convinced she takes a breath for a good two minutes in this one.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, she is really something! Thanks for pointing me to this.

Marc said...

Yeah, she really is.

And you're most welcome, glad you enjoyed it.