Sunday March 22nd, 2009

The exercise:

We really enjoyed the show last night - we were sitting in the third row so it felt really intimate, like there was no real separation between audience and actors. The performances were totally absorbing, I was impressed by all six actors.

One of the main themes of the play was cheating (he's cheating on her, she's cheating on him, who's cheating when?) so I'll use that as today's starter.

Mine:

The test results have come back,
I seem to have won a plaque;
There's just one problem with that:
I stole my answers from Matt.

I'm just really not that smart,
I just try to play the part;
And now I have the top mark,
Though my head's still in the dark.

I can't tell them the truth now,
I would be a disgraced frau;
I would be kicked out of town,
Or thrown in the lake to drown.

So this secret I shall keep,
It will haunt me in my sleep;
Learn this lesson that I speak:
Lies are only for the weak.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Heya Marc,
I like the poem, although I'm not sure that I agree that 'lies are only for the weak.' I shall think about it and see if I can find a good example where lying would require strength (in a worthwhile way).

The play sounds good too! I saw Watchmen this weekend, which was fantastic. The comic's influence on it was very obvious.

Cheating

Megaera keeps glaring at me,
Daring me to prove her suspicions true,
It's her way of caring for me,
And it gives her something to do.

Megaera keeps watching me,
Catching me doing things during the day,
It's causing fractures between us,
It's getting in our way.

Megaera stands and accuses me,
Of cheating on her with her sister,
Tisiphone's sweet but I don't like her,
And Alecto's really a mister.

Megaera's not letting go of my throat,
And she's effectively blinded my eyes,
This is unjust I protest,
I've not cheated, I've never told lies.

Marc said...

Feel free to disagree with that line - I know I do!

And... argh, Watchmen. Must find time to see that.

I love your first stanza's idea of 'glaring is caring' and it giving her something to do :)