Saturday March 21st, 2009

The exercise:

We're off to catch a play tonight, so the topic for this week's four line poem is: the theater.

I might do another one after the show if I'm feeling sufficiently inspired.

Update: I just noticed that Beth has chosen my entry from yesterday as the writing of the day for her Friday Fiction prompt. As this is by far my favorite of the three times she has picked my writing, I'm updating the link from my winner button.

That's all - have a happy Saturday!

Mine:

Expectant eyes track your every move,
Every night you've got something to prove.
Your brilliant yesterday has faded,
Once more critics must be persuaded.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm cheating a tiny bit here, Marc, as I published this on Protag months ago, but I really like it so here goes...


If I could tread the boards darling, my luvvie.
I would want to act in every scene with you.
Our two names would be feted the world over
And the audience would sigh and aah and coo.

Like Burton and Liz Taylor, we'd be followed,
By every hack and paparazzo trailed.
Our rows would fill the gossip columnists' in-trays
With talk that our relationship just failed.

But we, my dahling fellow-luvvie lover
Would know that we were playing with the Press
And on the stage of our own lives we'd snigger
As we read the flow'ry tales of our ''distress''.

You'd be Rhett Butler to my fiery Scarlett;
The Romeo to my fair Juliet,
And I would be your angel, love or harlot
And we would need no stage, or lot, or set.

We'd be the greatest actors in all history;
Our story told until the end of time.
And we'll both know the answer to the mystery
Was how our story told of love sublime.

For we were never acting with each other.
No lines were ever needed 'twixt us two.
We'd just lock eyes and gaze at one another
Until the curtain falls - and say - adieu.

Marc said...

Well, normally I'm very strict about these things (pffft), but I'll make an exception this time. Just for you.