Tuesday March 24th, 2009

The exercise:

Just got back from a quick little outing which, as it often does, has inspired the starter.

So have a go with: at the pharmacy. I'll admit I was a touch miffed when I wrote mine. It's funny how one little comment can show so much.

Mine:

I need a refill on my needles please.
Do I want insulin as well?
You ask that with such breezy ease!
It's odd that I cannot smell
The greasy burgers or frying fries;
Your uniform is all wrong too!
But surely this is McDonald's in disguise?
Or perhaps you just need to get a clue.

Stop looking at me like you care,
Just go on and peddle your wares.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Hehe, I like the idea that the insulin comes as a dismissive "...and do you want fries with that?" comment, although I can see that you wouldn't really appreciate it. How quickly everything commoditises!

Glad you liked yesterday's effort, it just turned up unannounced and insisted I write it down.

At the pharmacy

"What a pretty little counter!"
Says the man standing with his daughter.
"All those coloured bottles!
I ought to buy them, I oughtta!"
"Dad, please," she says wrinkling her nose,
"We're just here for medication."
"Ah," I say brightly, "I can also
offer you a class in meditation."
She sighs and her face is cloudy like the sky
So I serve her with her tablets
And her father waves bye-bye.

Marc said...

The funny thing is that at the time I was just like 'no, I don't need any insulin.' It wasn't until later that I thought 'you know, if I needed insulin I think I would have bloody said so - what the hell was that?'

I like this poem too - it has kind of a nursery rhyme vibe to it, or maybe sing-song. Either way, I like the sound of it when I read it out loud.