Monday March 16th, 2009

The exercise:

The topic du jour is: radio silence.

Mine:

About halfway through my backpacking trip through Europe I met an English girl in Innsbruck, Austria. We got along pretty well, so the morning of my departure for Zurich I was ready for the usual exchange of email addresses that happens between instant friends at hostels all over the world.

She had other ideas though.

She told me that she had stopped giving out her email address because too many people had stopped writing back. Which is totally understandable, I'd get tired of that too. But that's not why she'd made that decision.

"I get worried when people stop emailing," she told me. "What if they've died or something? Sure, maybe they just can't be bothered to write back, but how can I know that?"

And it was completely true - you get so attached to these people that you spend two or three days with, these "instant friends" you make in odd little hostels all over, and then all of a sudden they drop out of contact. Are they okay? Has something terrible happened to them?

I'm sure a lot of people take it in stride, shrug it off, but a lot of backpackers don't. I guess we'd be the more sensitive ones. I know I'm guilty of doing that to several people I met along my travels - combine being terrible at returning emails in general with a return home where life just isn't nearly as exciting as on the road and... voila.

It's been almost five years since I've "settled down" now and I had forgotten about that hollow wondering feeling. But now I'm wandering in the online writing community and I'm getting a reminder or two of it.

For a while there was someone who would do the daily writing very regularly... but then she stopped. Is she okay? Probably. But I can't be sure. So Olivia, if you happen to be reading this, drop me a note.

Over on Protagonize authors come and go every day. Sometimes it takes a while to notice someone has been away for awhile... but then I do. I usually leave them a note on their profile and they almost always write back within a few days, to my relief. But occasionally they don't.

I am a big softy? I can be; I know I get too caught up in things like this sometimes. But that's just part of who I am.

Also - dear everyone who drops by here regularly: you're not allowed to abandon me without saying where you're off to. Just an FYI.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Hmm, now I feel vaguely guilty about not being near the internet last week... it'll pass!

I wouldn't say that you're a big softy though, Marc, more than you're interested and concerned with the people around you, and that's a valuable trait. It's also true that people seem to think that to stay in touch your life has to be fantastically exciting, but sometimes, just hearing about the mundane is reassuring too.

Radio silence

This is Ground Control to Major Tom,
Tell us if your radio's on!
All we've got is static here,
And a growing sense of subtle fear....

Tracy said...

Hi Marc,

Loved your recounting of your backpacking experience...

:)
Tracy

Rose said...

That was real interesting to read, Marc! I'm afraid im one of those guilty ones on protag who's been away for a while. But im back now :)

Also loved your little poem, Greg. Short but effective! *thumbs up*

Rose @>}----

Marc said...

Greg - yes well, you disappearance was certainly the spark that led to that post, you are certainly not the worst offender. And I'm glad your bout of guilt was so quick to pass :P

I liked your poem as well - way to work in the Bowie :D

Tracy - cheers... though it has gone and made me a bit nostalgic. I suspect I'll be sharing a few more tales from the road sooner than later.

Rose - the important thing is that you're back :) I see you've been busy writing too, that makes me happy!