Wednesday March 18th, 2009

The exercise:

My favorite high school teacher is in the middle of a well deserved spring break at the moment, so I thought it'd be reasonable to use that as today's topic.

Plus, she baked up some fantastic pumpkin cookies this morning and I thought this would be the least I could do in return.

So: spring break.

Mine:

You've been working much too hard -
Sit down and breathe deep;
It's time to relax, let down you guard,
Get some extra sleep.

Those little terrors you teach
Can't bother you here;
On this couch you're out of reach
And the coast is clear.

So enjoy this break of spring,
Savor each moment;
See the peace each second brings
And just be present.

4 comments:

Greg said...

That's a lovely sentiment -- I hope you've shown Kat your poem for her! My apologies for using so many unusual words yesterday; I've reused one today though (and typed it correctly this time; I was very annoyed to see I'd dropped an h!) so you won't need to look it up again!

Spring break

Down in the shadowed halls of Hades,
Pluto stares discons'lat'ly about,
As Persephone packs her Vuitton suitcase,
And listens for the taxi-cab without.

"Don't go," he says, sounding bitter, lonely,
"I feel I've hardly seen you, my heart does ache."
But Persephone can hear her mother calling,
And is keen to make the most of her Spring Break.

And so she flees the gloomy halls she lives in,
Leaving Pluto to mope about and miss her face,
And spends six months in sunlight on the surface
Before returning to his dark chthonic embrace.

ElshaHawk said...

sounds relaxing!

Mine:
Spring break. Where did that come from? It reminds me of the song "I just called to say I love you" because it claims to be an ordinary day. Spring Break from school is a bunch of ordinary days.

But we go crazy when spring hits! Animals start moving; plants grow; sunlight warms things again; our spirits lift.

The sun shines in my window, illuminating the cobwebs in the corners. Suddenly I feel like cleaning! Depleting stores of winter fat in scrubbing, dusting, spraying, wiping, and vacuuming.

Spring feels good. I guess the 'break' part is like Breakfast. It's time for readying yourself for the future, a time after winter hibernation all cooped up inside.

Marc said...

Greg - oh yes, she saw it about two minutes after I had finished writing it :)

Don't apologize for using words I don't know - I get to learn new words and enjoy your writing at the same time. It's win-win.

I like your forays into Greek mythology too :)

April - I like the way you related the breaks in breakfast and spring break.

I share your ending sentiment as well - out with the cold, in with the warms, I says.

Unknown said...

Awesome poem! My spring break starts in two weeks...