Wednesday March 4th, 2009

The exercise:

First off, a quick thank you to Beth at The One-Minute Writer for choosing my contribution as her writing of the day on Monday - it's even better the second time around!

I haven't really spoken about it here, but I'm prone to bouts of sport fanaticism every now and again. With the NHL playoffs approaching and the home team actually playing well recently, I can feel it coming on.


Anyway, with today being the trade deadline in the NHL today's starter is: trading places.

Mine:

Won't you stay for a while,
Maybe walk for a mile;
Hear with these tired ears,
Shed some of my tears?

Look around with my eyes,
Taste your easy lies
With this foreign tongue -
Do you still feel young?

The light is fading fast,
Do you think you'll last?
The clock won't stop for you,
So what will you do?

3 comments:

Greg said...

So what is the home team, then Marc? Not that I know much about Hockey -- I hear it's a good excuse for a punch up though :)

Good poem, I like the way the verses convey the age of the narrator.

Hmm, I'm sure it's too late to be being creative. Nonetheless:

Trading Places

The raccoon out front has a name: it's Homer,
And don't look at him funny, 'cos he's the owner.
He mightn't have much of airs and graces,
But this is just one of those tradin' places.
He's been pickin' the stock for the past forty year,
And trading it on for any kind of beer,
Be it in bottles, or flagons or cases,
'Cos that's what you do in these tradin' places.

Tracy said...

A man has a tendency to sport
And although I do not know why
I admit I enjoy
A good hockey fight.

:)

Marc said...

Greg - The Vancouver Canucks; do you have a home team you cheer on?

Also - I liked your trading post poem :)

Tracy - honesty is always the best policy, right? :D