Sunday March 29th, 2009

The exercise:

This is how I spent Earth Hour last night:


How did you spend it?

Mine:

Writing by Candlelight

Flickering warmth licks my face;
Candles share a medieval taste
Of late night scribbles and thoughts,
Of storied stanzas and poetic plots.

Shadows conceal letters,
Perhaps for the better;
Emotions dance across the page
And vanish when the light fades.

Ears are more trusted
When eyes become rusted -
For surely how the words sound
Counts for more than where they're found.

3 comments:

Kim said...

That sounds like a very nice way to spend Earth hour. I had just put the baby to bed so there a few gadgets I had to keep plugged in (the monitor and the ghetto blaster playing the lullaby cd). Other than that I read a book by flashlight.

Greg said...

That's a very nice poem, very romantic!

I'm annoyed that I missed Earth Hour as I'd been planning to observe it all week. It didn't help that it fell on the same day that the clocks went forward and I needed to be up before 7 the next day.

Anyway. Writing by Candlelight

Yellow, smoky.
And a roaring blue core.
Like the candle's flame
Your writing has layers
That leave me wanting more.

Marc said...

Kim - that sounds pretty nice too :)

There really wasn't enough light to read by (there was barely enough to write by)... which reminds me, I need to find our flashlight.

Greg - as the romantic in my relationship I have to keep up my end of the bargain. Glad you liked it, I'm rather fond of it myself :D

Sorry to hear you missed out, but there's always next year, right? :)

Great poem, by the way - expresses so much so quickly.